Mar 6, 2012

Matters of the Heart

The young doctor was disappointed: he had never had the opportunity to study the effects of gold cyanide on a cadaver. Dr. Juvenal Urbino had been surprised that he had not seen him at the Medical School, but he understood in an instant from the young man's easy blush and Andean accent that he was probably a recent arrival to the city. He said: "There is bound to be someone driven mad by love who will give you the chance one of these days." And only after he said it did he realize that among the countless suicides he could remember, this was the first with cyanide that had not been caused by the sufferings of love. Then something changed in the tone of his voice.

"And when you do find one, observe with care," he said to the intern: "they almost always have crystals in their heart."


-An excerpt from Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez



It's sad how things don't always stay as they are. How past promises don't always follow through. Or how past vows don't always get remembered. It's sad how love, among all the other transient things in this world, does not become an exception. 

I don't know, but I'm really sad right now. Whether it's just PMS or all the sad news that I received today, I can feel it in my heart that something is wrong. I've been weighing it all now, and I don't like what it all added up to. 

Compromise is really not my thing. 











No comments: