Apr 22, 2011

reditus

I decided to return to my ‘original’ room after using my brother’s room for a month. My brother’s room is filled with all the stuff I need like wall to wall carpet, guitars, and a keyboard. But then I realized that I badly missed my old room, and seeing all the stuff that I had in there made me really want to go back.


My mom helped me fix my room. First, I had her return my bed to its former position right next to the wall. Having my bed in that position makes me feel more secure and comfortable when I sleep. Next I had her rearrange the cabinets and the study desk. The rest was up to me.


I started arranging the stuff in my bookshelf. I found books that I almost forgot I had and books that I wish I had forgotten about. I also found my old videogames and consoles (like my pearl blue GBA SP). I also found my old Olympus camera. Old greeting cards were there as well, and reading them again brought a smile to my face. I spent the whole afternoon just organizing my room. In the end, I was tired and hungry.


This activity, although tiring and hunger-inducing, made me realize some things that I was not so sure of before. I have changed…so much. From the books I used to read to the games I used to play, things have really changed. Not to mention I was a hundred times more industrious and diligent back then compared to how I am now. But this doesn’t mean that I’m no longer the same person. I still am, but I’ve grown.


Seeing how much I changed surely stirred something in me. It’s not that I’m glad I changed and that I don’t want to be the old me. Cleaning my room reminded me of the things I’ve forgotten because of all the stresses life gives me. It reminded me of the diligent version of myself who worked really hard for her goals. It reminded me that people are out there, loving and supporting me. It reminded me of the love I have for reading, writing, and drawing. It reminded me that I really can achieve something, if I put all my mind and heart into it in the process. It reminded me that it never is too late to return.


I’ve been gone for so long, and I’m just so glad I’ve finally returned.

No comments: